Tuesday, October 6

The Greatest Journeys Answer Questions...

...That in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask.

Friends, so much has happened in the past month and I apologize for keeping quiet. During that time, I have been discovering the ways to wi-fi in this different cultural context (some of you laugh now, understanding my lifelong struggles with technology). Meanwhile, I have kept a regular journal so that my experiences, observations, and questions are not forgotten. From the months before I left the States to today, I have received and dished out all sorts of questions. In an attempt to please my audience, as well as gain new information for myself, I'm choosing to process this past month using questions.

Some of my favorite questions from the new friends, students, and coworkers I've met in Pietermaritzburg:
  • Have you met anyone famous?
  • Does it snow in America?
  • Do you like One Direction or Justin Bieber more?
  • Have you ever seen a Ferrari? A Lamborghini? 
  • What is a Mennonite?
  • Are you popular where you live?
  • Can you sing the National Anthem for us?
  • How is South Africa different from America?
The best reaction I've received after telling a class that I was from America- a single boy shot up from his seat, threw his hands in the air, and shouted 'LIES!' as if I had offended him (then again, it wouldn't be the first time America offended someone)...

It's safe to say that I didn't prepare myself to answer these questions before flying halfway around the world; I certainly didn't prepare to become the expert on all-things-American. For example, one Grade 6 Social Studies class asked me 'what are America's main imports and exports?' (If you can answer that one without a Google Search, please do.)

Here are some questions I've been asked from friends and family in the States with pictures to illustrate my answers:

  • What do you do every day?

This is the charming Grade 1 class I've been hanging out with. September 24 was National Heritage Day so they all dressed in their traditional clothing. September 30 was Gateway's Sports Day where they held a series of relays like the Sack Race.
  • Are there [zebras, lions, giraffes] in your backyard?

No lions yet. I got pretty close to some baby giraffes at Bisley Nature Reserve, which is a 10-minute drive from my host home. Note my giddiness as I approached a wild zebra.

This journey is proving that every day will pose questions that I never thought to ask. College taught me that the world is my classroom, keep asking questions and I will learn. Here's to my new 'classroom' filled with questions and (hopefully some) answers.

P.S. The globe icon on my Facebook app has changed to show the eastern hemisphere, so this must be real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for journeying with me!