Tuesday, August 25

Bless Us With Discomfort

"I'll see you tomorrow then!" My darling friend shouted as I pulled out of her driveway last Tuesday evening. Only, we knew this would not be so; I was packed and on my way to orientation the following morning.

It's true, saying 'goodbye' is the hardest part of any new adventure. Especially when I have been given such amazing friends who went out of their way to make me feel loved during my final days in Virginia. I was blessed by round-the-clock lovin' from my friends in the form of potlucks, care packages, carnival rides, and enormous laughter that turned into bittersweet tears. How sweet it is to be loved by them all. How bitter it is to leave such comforts.

Friends who know me at all know that I am a chronic procrastinator. I do nothing in a timely manner, but rather, take pride in my ability (and preference) to work under pressure! With that said, I am living proof that God works in all circumstances. When I applied for this SALT position, I turned in my application on the day it was due. That same week I was asked to interview, and the following week I was given the position. I still find great peace in knowing that 1. God knows my flaws, inside and out 2. God is working through me, not despite of, but because of my flaws. An imperfect person reflecting God's perfect love. This is not the first time I've been put under pressure while working for God (my favorite examples are of my summer camp experiences) and it certainly won't be my last!

Tomorrow, the 80+ young people I've questioned with, prayed with, and shared life with here at MCC will be sent out across the globe. Three of us SALTers (see Allison and Dominik under "Other SALT Bloggers") will fly to Durban, South Africa, for the beginning of our great adventures. The days and hours leading up to this moment have been nothing short of amazing, God-filled, inspiring, and absolutely draining. Though I have only known these 80+ peers for a week, I will treasure them in this next stretch of the journey.

With each of our adventures come great responsibility. As the Franciscan blessing states below, we are charged to be uncomfortable, to be angry, to shed tears, and to feel foolish. Leaving our comfort zones, we will experience every one of these, and I pray that we will count it all as blessing. Amen.


P.S. Two 'self-care' goals I'm proposing for myself is 1. to write shorter blog posts (a win-win for all) and 2. to write more frequently. At this point, writing once a week is a pretty lofty goal for myself, but if you would like to hear more of me, please Subscribe under My Profile (you will receive email updates for each new post).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for journeying with me!